New (?) Topic: Streams, main- and otherwise

How do I feel about this?



I love baseball, and I love that song, but their marriage feels incongruous. (It does make for an adrenaline-raising trailer, though.) You’d have to be deaf, dumb and blind to have missed the onslaught of indie music making its way into commercials these days. In my hazy recollection it all seemed to begin when Le Tigre’s “Deceptacon” found its way into a cell phone spot, but in truth it probably goes back further than that. I suspect all this is the product of people our age (or, gasp, younger!) working their way up the ranks of Madison Ave. (or equivalent). Our peers are the current tastemakers, and indie musicians, happy to find a paying outlet for their music, are playing along.

What I find is that I am less and less resistant to the notion. By and large, it seems like a win-win. What do you guys think? I’m guessing Miss Imperial might have a perspective to offer here. Yes, I’m calling you out!

(Oh, yeah, also on the soundtrack for that video game: Pixies, Nirvana (!), The Stooges, Tapes 'n Tapes, and so on.)

No comments: